ARTICLE LAST UPDATED ON: 08:15 at 19/03/2019
Please note we are now at Stage 4 Load Shedding (Monday and Tuesday Schedules) . Scroll to the bottom for the schedule.
See this this article for the Wednesday 20 March Schedule.
TIPS FROM THE CITY OF CAPE TOWN
With the resumption of Eskom’s load-shedding across South Africa, the City encourages its residents to plan ahead and to follow a few simple tips to ensure that they stay connected, healthy and safe.
· Communication: Ensure that your cell phone, laptop, tablet and radio are always fully charged when power is available. This will allow you to be able to communicate with friends and family during load-shedding
· Transport: Make sure that your vehicle always has fuel in the tank as most petrol stations are unable to pump fuel during power outages
· Cash: Keep some cash on you as ATMs cannot operate without electricity
· Security and safety: Backup batteries for electrically operated gates, garage doors and security systems should be kept in a good working condition and be able to last through periods of load-shedding. Store temporary lighting such as battery-powered torches, gas lamps and candles in places where they will be easy to find in the dark
· Eating: If you do not have a gas stove, prepare meals before the power is scheduled to be switched off. Boil water in your kettle and keep it in thermos flasks for hot drinks. You can also use an insulating cover on teapots, pots and pans to keep drinks and meals warm
· Medication: Most medication requiring refrigeration can be kept in a closed fridge for several hours without spoiling, but you should check with your doctor or pharmacist if in doubt
· Traffic lights: intersections with traffic lights that are not working because of load-shedding should be treated as four-way-stops. The motorists who stops first may proceed first if the way is clear and safe to do so. Please stay calm and follow defensive driving techniques
MALLS OPEN DURING THE POWER OUTAGES
Bayside Mall (Checkers, Panorattis, Spur, Clicks, Game, Edgars Woolworths and Dis-chem)
Blue Route Mall (All stores online)
Canal Walk (H&M, Woolworths, Pick n Pay, Checkers and Game)
Cape Gate Shopping Centre (All stores online)
Cavendish Square (Pick n Pay, Woolworths and Dis-chem)
Constantia Village (Woolworths, Pick n Pay, Coffee Shops and Hair Salons)
Howard Centre (Woolworths, Pick n Pay and Clicks)
Kenilworth Centre (Checkers, Pick n Pay, Woolworths and Game)
Liberty Promenade (All stores online)
Longbeach Mall (Pick n Pay, Foodlovers and Woolworths)
Parow Centre (Checkers, Game and Woolworths)
Riverside Mall (All stores online)
Somerset Mall (All stores online except Edgars and Ackermans)
Table Bay Mall (All stores online)
The Paddocks (All stores online)
The Point, Sea Point (Checkers)
Tyger Valley Shopping Centre (Woolworths, Pick n Pay, Edgars and Game)
V&A Waterfront (Pick n Pay, H&M, Edgars, Woolworths and most department stores)
Water Stone Village Centre (All stores online)
NEWS FROM ESKOM:
Stage 2 #Loadshedding will continue today, 19 March until 09h00 this morning whereafter we will move to Stage 4 loadshedding. This is due to a shortage of capacity. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience. @CityPowerJhb @City_Ekurhuleni @centlecutility @eThekwiniM— Eskom Hld SOC Ltd (@Eskom_SA) March 19, 2019
Stage 4 will double the frequency of Stage 2, which means you will be scheduled for load shedding 12 times over a four day period for two hours at a time, or 12 times over an eight day period for four hours at a time. Pls visit https://t.co/s7Scju4KLA for more information. https://t.co/AQgHdiJuE2— Eskom Hld SOC Ltd (@Eskom_SA) March 17, 2019
NEWS FROM THE CITY OF CAPE TOWN:
Eskom load-shedding active: 19 Mar 2019
Stage 2 load-shedding 23:00-09:00, with stage 4 load-shedding active 09:00-23:00 and affects City and Eskom-supplied customers. Please check the schedule for areas and times affected, and be prepared for outages.
SO WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR US AND WHICH AREAS WILL BE AFFECTED AND WHEN?
Here are some resources and guides:
The Go To Guide for the Eskom Power Cuts provided by the City of Cape Town.
In the above document, there were a couple of noteworthy points to keep in mind.
Based on the national power grid, Eskom may change or suspend the load shedding stage at any time.
If load shedding does not occur in your area as indicated on the current schedule, it does not mean you will be excluded next time.
FOR OUTAGES (CITY MANAGED AREAS)
MONDAY & TUESDAY Stage 4 schedule below:
Group 1 (00:00 - 02:30/ 08:00 - 10:30/ 16:00 - 18:30) Neighbourhoods include Bellville and parts of Parow (Full Map)
Group 2 (02:00 - 04:30/ 10:00 - 12:30/ 18:00 - 20:30) Neighbourhoods include Maitland and parts of Milnerton (Full Map)
Group 3 (04:00 - 06:30/ 12:00 - 14:30/ 20:00 - 22:30) Neighbourhoods include Strand and Somerset West (Full Map)
Group 4 (06:00 - 08:30/ 14:00 - 16:30/ 22:00 - 00:30) Neighbourhoods include Mitchells Plain and Philippi (Full Map)
Group 5 (00:00 - 02:30/ 08:00 - 10:30/ 16:00 - 18:30) Neighbourhoods include Newlands, Claremont and Hanover Park (Full Map)
Group 6 (02:00 - 04:30/ 10:00 - 12:30/ 18:00 - 20:30) Neighbourhoods include Durbanville, Kenridge, Welgemoed, Eversdal and Tyger Valley (Full Map)
Group 7 (04:00 - 06:30/ 12:00 - 14:30/ 20:00 - 22:30) Neighbourhoods include Oranjezicht, Gardens, Tamboerskloof, University Estate, Green Point, Three Anchor Bay, Mouille Point, Sea Point, Fresnaye, Clifton, Bakoven, Bantry Bay and Camps Bay. (Full Map)
Group 8 (06:00 - 08:30/ 14:00 - 16:30/ 22:00 - 00:30) Neighbourhoods include Muizenberg, Tokai, Noordhoek, Kommetjie, Kalk Bay, Fish Hoek, Ocean View and Simon’s Town (Full Map)
Group 9 (00:00 - 02:30/ 08:00 - 10:30/ 16:00 - 18:30) Neighbourhoods include Langa, Epping and Pinelands (Full Map)
Group 10 (02:00 - 04:30/ 10:00 - 12:30/ 18:00 - 20:30) Neighbourhoods Kraaifontein, Brackenfell and Kuils River (Full Map)
Group 11 (04:00 - 06:30/ 12:00 - 14:30/ 20:00 - 22:30) Neighbourhoods include Constantia, Bergvliet, Wynberg, Plumstead and Hout Bay (Full Map)
Group 12 (06:00 - 08:30/ 14:00 - 16:30/ 22:00 - 00:30) Neighbourhoods include Athlone and Mannenberg (Full Map)
Group 13 (00:00 - 02:30/ 08:00 - 10:30/ 16:00 - 18:30) Neighbourhoods include Plattekloof, Goodwood and parts of Parow (Full Map)
Group 14 (02:00 - 04:30/ 10:00 - 12:30/ 18:00 - 20:30) Neighbourhoods include Atlantis, Blouberg, Atlantic Beach Golf Estate and Melkbosstrand (Full Map)
Group 15 (04:00 - 06:30/ 12:00 - 14:30/ 20:00 - 22:30) Neighbourhoods include Observatory, Rosebank, Rondebosch and Mowbray (Full Map)
Group 16 (06:00 - 08:30/ 14:00 - 16:30/ 22:00 - 00:30) Neighbourhoods include parts of Retreat, Philippi and Ottery (Full Map)
For areas 17 - 23 please visit the Eskom website. These areas include neighbourhoods such as Delft, Blackheath, Eerste River and Blue Downs.
Here are a few neighbour recommended apps:
Load Shedding CT
Load Shedding Notifier
Keep safe and keep an eye out for your neighbours. Criminals too know when power outages occur and are also on the lookout for opportunities during these trying times.
Disclaimer: We cannot confirm whether the above information is correct or not as is provided by a third party. The above information is provided by the City of Cape Town and Eskom on their respective websites.
Image Credit: Photo by José Miguel